Senior Associate - Banking and Finance
An established Commercial Law firm situated in Sandton, Johannesburg is recruiting a Senior Associate to join their Banking and Finance department on a permanent basis.
Experience and qualifications:
- LLB degree
- LLM (Commercial)
- South African admitted attorney
- 10 year’s post admission experience
- Extensive Banking and Finance experience compulsory including:
- project finance, infrastructure and public-private-partnership
- syndicated and bilateral finance,
- project and limited recourse finance,
- leveraged and acquisition finance,
- structured finance, commodity and trade finance,
- debt capital markets transactions and securitisations
- The ability to build and maintain strong relationships with others and to work collaboratively to meet deadlines.
- The ability to give prompt and pragmatic advice to clients, delivered in a commercially focused manner.
- Ability to demonstrate sound legal technical ability, knowledge of relevant legislation
- Ability to work on complex legal principles/concepts in legal documents without the use of precedents
- Build, manage and maintain client relationships
- Negotiate and finalise the terms of transaction documentation
- Collaborate with other legal professionals on matters
- Leadership, training and supervision of junior staff members (as appropriate)
- Business development
- Billing and invoicing of clients
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skilfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations
- Interpersonal - Focuses on achieving results, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things
- Oral and written communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognises accomplishments of other team members
- Deadline driven – Displays the ability to work with and meet tight deadline; Displays the ability to work well under pressure
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality; Applies feedback to improve performance
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Mobilizes others to fulfil the vision.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.