Senior Associate - Litigation
An established Commercial Law firm situated in Sandton, Johannesburg is recruiting a Senior Associate to join their Litigation department on a permanent basis.
Introduction to the role:
The incumbent must demonstrate a strong command of legal and technical issues in general commercial litigation. The candidate should be able to give sound legal advice and analyse legal matters holistically in a manner which demonstrates technical expertise and tactical awareness. He/she should be able to work independently with minimum supervision and demonstrate the ability to work on complex legal matters. Teamwork, interpersonal skills, good written and oral communication are necessary to deal with current and potential clients as well as team members and seniors.
Experience and qualifications:
- LLB degree, LLM would be advantageous
- South African admitted attorney
- 10 – 20 year’s post qualification experience
- Commercial Litigation experience necessary
- Business Development
- Demonstrate sound legal technical ability, knowledge of South African Law including procedural law applicable to all types of South African Courts and Tribunals
- Provide legal advice and opinions on commercial litigation matters
- Provide legal advice and analyse legal matters holistically
- Draft and review legal documentation, with emphasis on pleadings and notices.
- Work on complex legal principles/concepts without the use of precedents
- Build, manage and maintain client relationships
- Manage and litigation matters from inception to conclusion
- Collaborate with other legal professionals on matters
- Business development
- Billing and invoicing of clients
- Manage a team
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skilfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations
- Interpersonal - Focuses on achieving results, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things
- Oral and written communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognises accomplishments of other team members
- Deadline driven – Displays the ability to work with and meet tight deadline; Displays the ability to work well under pressure
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality; Applies feedback to improve performance
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Mobilizes others to fulfil the vision.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.